Re: Manipulate Issue - resend with code

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99652] Re: Manipulate Issue - resend with code
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 05:16:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> Below is the "Neat Example" from the Manipulate Help. My issue is that
> when one of the charges is dragged around, the contour plot is really
> crummy, i.e. very low res, until you take your finger off the mouse.
> Similarly when the manipulate is allowed to run movie-style. Any ideas
> about how to get this to "look nice"?

that's a feature really, since many computers still will not be able to
show the "nice" plot fast enough to let you drag the charges (or other
controllers) seamlessly. All that is documented, I think here:

tutorial/AdvancedManipulateFunctionality

the keyword to search for is: ControlActive

It's simple enough to switch that off, just fix the options
PerformanceGoal to "Quality":

Manipulate[
 ContourPlot[
  q1/Norm[{x, y} - p[[1]]] + q2/Norm[{x, y} - p[[2]]], {x, -2,
   2}, {y, -2, 2}, Contours -> 10,
  PerformanceGoal -> "Quality"], {{q1, -1}, -3, 3}, {{q2, 1}, -3,
  3}, {{p, {{-1, 0}, {1, 0}}}, {-1, -1}, {1, 1}, Locator},
 Deployed -> True]

whether the result gives you more joy than the original will depend on
how fast your computer is...

hth,

albert