Re: Weird palette stuff, still learning...Help!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg99867] Re: [mg99852] Weird palette stuff, still learning...Help!
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 18:25:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 16 May 2009 05:20:51 -0400 (EDT), meitnik wrote:
> hi,
>
> Ok, when I use my large, rich palette via CreatePalette, it just works
> fine. All my dynamic stuff works, all my ActionMenus work too. But
> once I save the palette and use it 'standalone' after relaunching
> Mathematica, it breaks. Dynamic fails and some of the ActionMenus are
> not firing when selected. Now, if I evaluate all the key cells from
> its source notebook while the broken palette is up, it gets "healed"
> and works fine. Please explain to me how coding for a palette works so
> all its notebook code fires correctly. Frustrated. Thanks for anyone
> to restore my sanity. ;-)

Your palette is depending upon state that you've loaded in the kernel, such as
global variables/function definitions or packages that need to be loaded.

You need to initialize this state within constructs in the palette.  A typical
way to do this would be to use the Initialization option of DynamicModule. Any
code you put in the Initialization option (which should use a RuleDelayed,
recall...not a Rule) is guaranteed to run before anything in the contents of
that DynamicModule.

-John