Re: ColorFunction Range (Mathematica v7)

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg99970] Re: [mg99920] ColorFunction Range (Mathematica v7)
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 05:02:31 -0400 (EDT)

Use Rescale to map the actual value range to the color parameter range.

DensityPlot[5 Sin[x y], {x, -3, 3}, {y, -3, 3},
 ColorFunctionScaling -> False,
 ColorFunction -> (ColorData["Rainbow"][
     Rescale[#, {-5, 5}, {0, 1}]] &),
 PlotPoints -> 30,
 MaxRecursion -> 3]

David Park
djmpark at

From: Constantinos [mailto:physicist_gr at]

Hi All,

Does anyone know how I can change the "Range" value of a preset
ColorFunction (e.g. "TemperatureMap") in DensityPlot?

I am facing the following problem:

Let's say that the min and max values of your plotting function (not the
color one) are fmin and fmax, respectively. Let's also assume that you set
If pmax is lower than fmax then the highest valued color (Red) corresponds
to pmax but if pmax is higher than fmax the highest valued color (Red)
corresponds to fmax. Note that we have similar situation for the minimum
values fmin and pmin.

How can I assign the highest (lowest) valued color of a preser ColorFunction

to the desired value whatever it is.

Thanks in advance.