100,000 posts!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100000] 100,000 posts!
  • From: "Steven M. Christensen" <steve at smc.vnet.net>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 00:15:48 -0400 (EDT)

Hello everyone,

The Mathematica mailing list and newsgroup have been in existence for more
than twenty years now.   In January 2005, we past the 50,000 message mark.
Now, in only a little more than four years, we have added another 50,000.
This is very gratifying to me and I hope that this effort will continue
to grow and help as many users as possible.

A little personal history.   I was honored to be a student and friend
of Bryce DeWitt, who some of you know was one of the finest theoretical
physicists of the last 100 years.   One of the things he told me back
in the 70's was

"Make sure all your projects are useful, work that will still be valuable to
others twenty years from now."

I have tried to take this to heart in doing the moderation of this group
for twenty years and running sunfreeware.com for fifteen years.

It is obvious that Stephen, the folks at Wolfram Research, and many of
the contributors to this group also follow this philosophy.  Thanks to
all of you.

Steve Christensen
Moderator