Re: Import of NIST ANOVA data sets

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg100042] Re: [mg100010] Import of NIST ANOVA data sets
  • From: Darren Glosemeyer <darreng at>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 01:46:42 -0400 (EDT)

Adrian wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using Mathematica 7 and if I bring the data set into Excel 2007
> then save it as an .xls file, Mathematica imports the data fine but
> the then the ANOVA fails (Error: "ANOVA::arg1:The 1st argument has
> unequal columns or rows.").  If I save the .xls file as a CSV file,
> import it into Mathematica and run the ANOVA, it runs successfully.
> Any ideas on why the xls import is breaking the ANOVA?
> Thanks,
> Adrian.

I suspect this is because XLS files could have multiple sheets, and so
the imported result is a list containing the data for each sheet. In
your case, there may only be one sheet, but the result would still be a
list containing the data for that one sheet. If this is the case, you
could use

Import[file, {"Sheets", 1}]

to just import the contents of the first sheet, or use

to pick the first element (the first sheet) out of the imported result
for the entire file.

Darren Glosemeyer
Wolfram Research