Re: constants

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100204] Re: constants
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnews at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 04:27:34 -0400 (EDT)

On 5/27/09 at 4:07 AM, olfa.mraihi at yahoo.fr (olfa) wrote:

>Hi mathematica community I have to Reduce[{x + a*z/(1 - d) == y +
>a*w/(1 - d)] I need to tell mathematica that a and d are constants
>how ?

Why do you think you need to have a means to make a and d
constant? What are you expecting Reduce to do here. If you
replace a with 1 and d with 0 the relationship becomes x + z ==
y + w which cannot be reduced further without more information.
The same is true regardless of what constant values are chosen
for a and d with the one exception of d = 1.