Re: simultaneous equations for chemical speciation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100222] Re: simultaneous equations for chemical speciation
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 06:50:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Jem,

First, the equation:

a=b+c+d

e=f+g+c+2d

j=mg/f

k=lm

n+m+b+c=g+l

do not add any information because they only introduce a new variable

that does not appear anywhere else. This leaves 3 equations:

h=c/(bg)

i=d/(cg)

hi=d/(bg^2)

Multiplying the first 2 gives the third. Therefore, we actually have 2

equations:

h=c/(bg)

i=d/(cg)

These do not have a general solution. Only under special circumstances

we get a solution. For this problem we have Reduce. Therefore, you get

possible solutions by:

Reduce[{h == c/(b*g), i == d/(c*g)}, {g}]

Daniel