TIFF file specification

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100247] TIFF file specification
  • From: beryllium-10 <beryllium10 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 20:57:39 -0400 (EDT)

Several years ago I wrote a Mathematica 5.0 program to find and
extract parts of bitmap tiff images (lines representing the horizon in
fisheye photos of the sky).  I used to open the bitmap array (i.e. an
R x C list, where R is the pixel height of the image and C its pixel
width) with the command:

Import["imagefile", "TIFF"][[1,1]];

I recently tried to use my program in Mathematica 7.0 and it seems the
TIFF format that Mathematica is expecting has changed.  I now have to
import element [[1]] of the file, not element [[1,1]].  i.e. the new
command to extract the array is:

Import["imagefile", "TIFF"][[1]];

This is not a big problem, but I cannot find when Wolfram changed the
format that Mathematica expects to see for a TIFF file, and whether
anything else in the specification changed.  Can anyone point me at
Mathematica documentation on this change?  I want to be sure that
nothing else changed (e.g. is Mathematica still reading the array from
bottom left to top right of the image, etc).

Thanks in advance for any help on this,

John Stone
Earth & Space Sciences, University of Washington; stone(at)geology.
(washington).(edu)