Precise control of horizontal ticks with BarChart?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104532] Precise control of horizontal ticks with BarChart?
  • From: Szabolcs Horvát <szhorvat at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 02:54:45 -0500 (EST)

I would like to create a histogram-like plot.  I already have the
frequency data, so I don't need to use the Histogram function itself.

What is the easiest way to do this?

I tried using the BarChart function, but couldn't figure out how to
position the bars precisely on the X axis (for example, have 5 bars in
the range (0,1), similar to what Histogram[RandomReal[1, 100], 5]
produces).  Is there an easy way to achieve this, or will it be
necessary to draw the bars manually?

P.S. It's not enough to have the correct label for each bar:  It is
necessary to position the bars precisely in Mathematica's coordinate
system because another plot will be drawn on top of this one.