Re: Conventional way of doing "struct"-like things?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104601] Re: Conventional way of doing "struct"-like things?
  • From: Uayeb <uayebswinburne at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 01:40:34 -0500 (EST)

Erik,

This is a good question, one I've struggled with a lot as well. Of
particular annoyance is data tables where columns are added and
removed on occasion. It isn't very elligant to have to go back and
edit function definitions or table definitions to correct for these
changes (and it often isn't even apparent if they have changed unless
you have some function which explicitly checks!)

So I have come up with the following alternate solution. Usually, the
data I import from a file has column headings in the first row (which
are just text strings). So I wrote the following function (two parts)
which extracts the column with the appropriate header from the data.

getTabularData[data_List, cols : {_String ..}] :=
 data[[2 ;;, Flatten[Position[data[[1]], #] & /@ cols]]]

getTabularData[data_List, col_String] :=
 data[[2 ;;, First@First[Position[data[[1]], col]]]]

So the data looks something like
id   x     y
1   3.4  4.5
2  34.  7.5
3  5.2  4.

Then I can get the list of y values with
getTabularData[data,"y"]

or the list of {x, y} values with
getTabularData[data,{"x","y"}]

Don't know if this is really appropriate to your situation, but I find
it very helpful, particularly if I later add a column "name" between
"id" and "x"!

Thoughts?

Andy