Re: Mysterious Output in formatted Notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104718] Re: Mysterious Output in formatted Notebook
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 06:51:56 -0500 (EST)

John wrote:
> Mathematica 6, xp windows
>
> My notebook is mostly paragraphs of text interspersed with sections
> and subsections, tables, plots and displayed formulas. Students will
> view it in class and later on Mathematica Player. or reason Out
> [integer]=Null^i is printed between paragraphs and headings (section
> or subsection). The exponent i is  usually the number of preceding
> paragraphs.
>
> What is it telling me? What causes it, and how can I get rid of it?
>
> .
>
> John

The cells in a notebook each have a definite style. You can change the
style of a cell by selecting the cell bracket and using the Format/Style
menu item.

By default, cells take "Input" style, which means they are executable.
If you put text in such a cell, it will 'execute' (or 'evaluate',
depending on your point of view) when you execute the notebook -
producing a spurious output. Text stored in "Input" cells, also looks
pretty ugly.

You should only store Mathematica instructions that you wish to evaluate
in "Input" cells.

I am 90% sure this is the problem you are describing.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk