Re: How to Calculatelength of an Spline curve between two

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104830] Re: [mg104819] How to Calculatelength of an Spline curve between two
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 04:27:17 -0500 (EST)

Here's an example:

xvals = Flatten@{0, Sort@RandomReal[{0, 2 Pi}, 30], 2 Pi};
tbl = Table[{x, Sin@x + .05 RandomReal[]}, {x, xvals}];
sp = Interpolation[tbl, Method -> "Spline"];
Show[ListPlot@tbl, Plot[sp@x, {x, 0, 2 Pi}], PlotRange -> All]

(Warning: splines can have VERY wild fluctuations.)

Next solve for the curve length, from 0 to any x:

Clear[x, len]
len = len /.
   First@NDSolve[{len'[x] == Sqrt[1 + sp'[x]^2], len[0] == 0},
     len, {x, 0, 2 Pi}];

Plot[len@x, {x, 0, 2 Pi}]

Compute the arc length between two points:

len[.7] - len[.2]

1.00597

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com