Re: Complex solutions to simple equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104845] Re: Complex solutions to simple equations
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 04:30:18 -0500 (EST)

AES wrote:
> In article <hd8sf9$5vo$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
>  dragonman <morrisneedleman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For goodness sake I am a teacher. Feel free to google me. Its
>> Mathematica's representation of solutions I wanted. Feel free to
>> apologise any time.
>> Many thanks to the helpful posters above.
>
> A very nice reply! -- and one I'd hope may have some impact on this
> group.
>
> Out of curiosity, did your personal background or vocabulary
> (pre-Mathematica) include some conceptual understanding of any of the
> terms
>
>    local vs global variables
>    functional vs procedural programming
>    mapping
>
> as they are used in Mathematica?

Well I am sorry if I made a mistake here, but we do get a fair few
students trying to get homework questions answered here. The usual
response to such questions is along the lines of my original reply.

What do you think we should do with such questions, AES - simply reply
regardless?

David Park has given a solution, so I guess there is nothing more to be
said.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk