Re: Formatting Numeric Outpuit

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg104853] Re: [mg104782] Formatting Numeric Outpuit
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 06:00:24 -0500 (EST)

You may obtain what you want by mapping the appropriate NumberForm
expression onto the list n1 and feeding that into Column (for the sake
of this post, I shortened the list to have length 2):

    n1 = RandomReal[100, 2];
    n2 = NumberForm[#, {3, 3}] & /@ n1;
    Column[n2, Right]

I don't know how completely to explain why what you tried doesn't work,
except to note the result of ...

    NumberForm[n1, {3, 3}] // FullForm

..which shows a NumberForm expression. Remember that NumberForm does not
affect evaluation, only display.

But I've long considered the same effect you observed as an a
Mathematica annoyance. Like you, I've always expected the NumberForm to
change the display of all the numbers no matter where they're
subsequently embedded.

I don't know why this annoying behavior cannot be changed, although from
my perspective it's hard to tell what effects the change might make as
they ricochet through the whole system.

BenT wrote:
> Please consider these Mathematica 7 code Input lines:
> n1 = RandomReal[100, 10]
> n2 = NumberForm[n1, {3, 3}]
> Column[n2, Right]
> What I expected to get was "ignored", namely right aligned "arbitrary"
> numeric data with 3 digits to the right, and 3 digits to the left of
> the decimal point) formatted in a single column. How can this be
> achieved with any numeric list of data?
> --- Benjamin Tubb

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305