Re: Cylinder cylinder intersection: Design of a starter crank.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104847] Re: Cylinder cylinder intersection: Design of a starter crank.
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 05:59:12 -0500 (EST)

Hi Matthias,

if I understand correctly, you want to calculate the intersection line

of 2 cylindrical surfaces. This can be done as follows.

Assume we have a vertical cylinder along the z axis of radius: 1. The

second cylinder is horizontal along the y axis of radius 1/2. This gives

the equations:

r1 = 1; r2 = 1/2;

eq = {

    x^2 + y^2 == r1,

    y^2 + z^2 == r2

    };

We may solve this equations for x using e.g. Reduce:

res = Reduce[eq, {x, y, z}]

this gives:

(y == -Sqrt[1 - x^2] || y == Sqrt[1 - x^2]) &&

  (z == -(Sqrt[-1 + 2*x^2]/Sqrt[2]) || z == Sqrt[-1 + 2*x^2]/Sqrt[2])

You see, there are 2 possibilities for y and two for z, giving a total

of 4 functions. We may Plot this functions using ParametricPlot. For

convenience, we change the result res from equations to rules using:

ToRules:

ParametricPlot3D[{x, y, z} /. {ToRules[res]}, {x, 0, 1},

  AspectRatio -> Automatic, AxesLabel -> {"x", "y", "z"}]

The four curves join smoothly as expected.

For wall thickness you would evaluate the curves at specific points.

E.g. the maximal z value is optained from x=1 and z=Sqrt[-1 +

2*x^2]/Sqrt[2]. The min. x value from: z==0 and z=Sqrt[-1 + 2*x^2]/Sqrt[2].

Daniel