Re: How to instruct Math to take a certain (e.g. real) type of results

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105050] Re: [mg105018] How to instruct Math to take a certain (e.g. real) type of results
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 05:23:08 -0500 (EST)

If you are willing to permute the Mathematica multi-valued solutions and
match them up for the various terms, then you can verify the z == 0
solution.

w1^3 == -8 + z;
sols1 = Solve[%, w1]
w2^3 == 8 + z;
sols2 = RotateLeft[Solve[%, w2]]
w3^3 == z;
sols3 = Solve[%, w3]

sols1 /. z -> 0
sols2 /. z -> 0
sols3 /. z -> 0

(w1 /. sols1) + (w2 /. sols2) == (w3 /. sols3) /. z -> 0
True

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Alexei Boulbitch [mailto:Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu]

Dear Community,

I came to a problem, that I cannot check the solution y=0 of equation

In[345]:= eq = (-8 + y)^(1/3) + (8 + y)^(1/3) == y^(1/3);
eq /. y -> 0

Out[346]= False

just because the expression

In[347]:= eq[[1]] /. y -> 0

Out[347]= 2 + 2 (-1)^(1/3)

Mathematica does not interpret as zero. And if I ask it to give a
numerical answer
In[348]:= 2 + 2 (-1.)^(1/3)

Out[348]= 3.+ 1.73205 \[ImaginaryI]
It returns the complex root out of the three possible.

My question is the following:

1) How should I instruct Mathematica to take a certain  root that I want
of say, (-1)^(1/3)?

2) I think there is a general possibility instruct Mathematica that all
calculations should be done on reals only. Is it right?

Thank you, Alexei

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 Contern
Luxembourg

Phone: +352 2454 2566
Fax:   +352 2454 3566

Website: www.iee.lu

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or
otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient
and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any
review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform
us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank
you for your co-operation.