Re: Plot3d causes crash with radeon driver and Debian testing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105164] Re: Plot3d causes crash with radeon driver and Debian testing
  • From: Garrett <garrett.mitchener at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 06:50:52 -0500 (EST)

On Nov 8, 6:52 am, Pavel Pokorny <pavel.pokora.poko... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Oct 29, 4:00 am, Nils Kanning <n... at kanning.de> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > I'm using Mathematica 7.0.1 on Debian testing with the open source
> > radeon driver (xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:6.12.3-1).
>
> > Every time I use Plot3d, I get a blank image first. If I then rotate the
> > plot, I see the 3d surface. After stopping the rotation Mathematica
> > crashes and I get the following output:
> >failedtocreatepixmap
> >failedtocreatepixmap
> >failedtocreatepixmap
> > Mathematica: radeon_lock.c:65: radeonGetLock: Assertion `drawable !((void=
>  *)0)
>
> > Is there someone else with this problem?
>
> > The only (partial) solution I found so far is to start Mathematica using
> > the "-mesa" option which makes rotating 3d plots rather slow.
>
> > Best regards
> > Nils
>
> The same for me running Mathematica 7.0.1 in Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit (AMD).
> Running
>    mathematica -mesa
> seems to work fine and I have not noticed any slow-down.
>
> Pavel

I see this on Fedora 12.  I'm using a Radeon HD 2600XT (which uses the
RV630).  As far as I know, 3D stuff on this chip set is still
experimental & unfinished within the open source drivers, so I guess
I'm not surprised to see a problem like this.  I didn't have this
problem on Fedora 11, though... kind of disappointing that the upgrade
broke something this important!

I've tried mathematica -mesa and that seems to work okay, but
sometimes the 3D drawing "escapes" the mathematica window and hovers
on its own above the rest of my windows.  Very strange.

What other hardware are people seeing this on?

-gm