Silent errors in Mathematica options, I think it should be detected.

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg105243] Silent errors in Mathematica options, I think it should be detected.
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 02:34:10 -0500 (EST)

Version 7

Some time I use the wrong option for some function, but Mathematica never
complain. i.e. the expression is evaluated and no error or warning is given.

This can cause a problem, because what I expect to occur never does, and I
would then spend time to find why when Mathematica could have helped me by
easily pointing the problem if it did do more through option argument

Here is an example, I called Plot and Frame->True, but used TicksStyle
instead of FrameTicksStyle (earlier I had not had Frame->True there, then
added it later, forgetting to update the TickStyle).

The first call below goes through with no complain:

Plot[Sin[x], {x, -Pi, Pi}, Frame -> True, TicksStyle -> Directive[16]]
Plot[Sin[x], {x, -Pi, Pi}, Frame -> True, FrameTicksStyle -> Directive[16]]

I think I should have received an error saying that TicksStyle is not
"compatible" with Frame->True or something to this effect.

There are more examples like the above that one can find. I think all these
should be caught. It would save the user time in debugging.

Thank you,