Re: freeing memory used by Import[]

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg103640] Re: freeing memory used by Import[]
  • From: markus <markusg.phys at>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 06:37:49 -0400 (EDT)

On 3 Aug., 11:45, divisor <congruentialumina... at> wrote:
> Hello MathGroup:
> As a result of some help from WRI support, the behavior is much more
> clear to me now. I actually am not sure if it is a bug and I don't
> know if it can be fixed in a subsequent release.
> Basically what is happening is that the result of the earlier
> invocations are always in Out[n]. This is designed this way (from the
> first Mathematica version, I guess) in order to support the "%-m" construct.
> This is (of course) controlled by the $HistoryLength system variable.
> Since this application does not need to use "%-100" or "%-1000" (which
> are fully supported by Mathematica) it can run with a much smaller
> $HistoryLength setting. In fact, I will probably use 1 or 2 since I
> just need to Export[] the graphic once it is rendered.
> I cannot imagine I could get this to work without help from the
> vendor.
> Regards..
> Roger Williams
> Franklin Laboratory
> On Jul 26, 12:53 am, divisor <congruentialumina... at> wrote:
> > Hello MathGroup:
> > Somehow running the following command a few times depletes all of the
> > free <snipped/>

But from my experience, even using $HistoryLength=1 does not solve the
problem of memory leakage. After a large dataset has been loaded, it
somehow remains in the memory and you can not get rid of it again
unless you restart Mathematica. Remove[..] also does not work.
If this is not a bug then I don't know...