Re: How to store data files in packages

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg103688] Re: [mg103663] How to store data files in packages
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 08:25:19 -0400 (EDT)

That is a very interesting question!

Currently WRI uses paclets to document packages through Workbench/DocuTools.
They also use paclets to serve up data but don't give us much information on
how to do that. It is possible to write an application that not only has a
documented package but also has folders of extra notebooks, say book
chapters - all within the application paclet and all linked and accessible.

I don't see why a user/developer couldn't also include data paclets in the
same application. WRI just has to show us how to do it and how to access the

And I also don't see why a user shouldn't be able to construct a master list
of references as a data paclet and perhaps keep it in a separate

The Workbench/DocuTools/Application/Paclet facility will, I believe, be a
powerful medium for organizing and preserving all kinds of serious work
within Mathematica.

One solution to your question would be to build the data into the package
itself, but it seems reasonable that a user should be able to maintain data
as a separate component of an application paclet.

David Park
djmpark at

From: Karsten W. [mailto:karsten.g.weinert at]

my packages uses some data files. Currently, I store them in a
subdirectory "resources" below the package directory and access the
data via

ToFileName[{$UserBaseDirectory, "Applications", myPackage,
"resources"}, myDataFileName];

I wonder if this is a portable way. I am afraid it is not, since the
package may be installed under $BaseDirectory as well. And then there
is this directory at the same level as "Applications" named

What is the recommended way to store my data files?

Any hint appreciated,

kind regards,