Re: Pounds and Kilograms

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103673] Re: Pounds and Kilograms
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kjm at KevinMcCann.com>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 08:22:30 -0400 (EDT)

Pressure in English units is psi (pounds per square inch), which is
Force per unit area. However,

Convert[Pound/Inch^2,Pascal]

Convert::incomp: Incompatible units in Pound/Inch^2 and Pascal.

Since, by WRI's own definition that Pound is a weight, i.e. force, this
is not correct. While imperial units cause untold problems, the
engineering world, at least in the USA, tend to use them, but I don't
want to get into all that.

Anyway, I just posted this as a notice of the inconsistency.

Kevin