Placing images in the coordinate system?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103712] Placing images in the coordinate system?
  • From: Dave <uber.daveb at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 09:03:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Using Mathematica 7.0, how can I take an image and give it a position
and scale, so that it can be combined with other graphics?

Here's what I am trying to do: I would like to have an image map of
the moon as the background for my plot or contour plot. I want to be
able to plot points by their lat,lon positions and have them appear at
the correct points on the map.

I came up with a hack to do this by rasterizing the plot using Image[]
so that it is the same resolution as the moon image, and then
combining the two images.
(I found a similar technique here: http://mathgis.blogspot.com/2007/12/fun-with-image-overlay.html)

The problem is this does not work if the plot has Axes->True, because
some space is used for the axes, so the coordinate systems don't match
exactly anymore.

I really would like to have both Axes and the image together. Is there
a good way to do this?

Thanks,
Dave