Limiting the number of messages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103810] Limiting the number of messages
  • From: Sean McConnell <smcconne at physi.uni-heidelberg.de>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 07:02:25 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I'm creating a program with procedures that often depend on
sub-procedures. Many times I allow the sub-procedures to do the input
checking, so I don't have to write a the same error trapping conditions
and messages for each level of the program. The problem is however that
although the 'input checking' is passed on to a sub-procedure, the main
procedure continues to attempt to evaluate, and can usually return a
very long list of error messages whilst it foolishly attempting to
evaluate with improperly input variables.

I would like to know how to make a procedure abort its evaluation after
say 3 or so messages, and simply return the name of the procedure and
the variables (as happens when you use /; for conditionals). I have
tried the use of Check[], and although it checks for messages, it will
only return what is typed in to the space for a second argument (eg:
Check[f[a], "problem"] will return simply "problem"), I would like to be
able to tell the user how they have screwed up.

Many thanks,

Sean McConnell.