Re: Error code: 480David Bailey,

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg103953] Re: Error code: 480David Bailey,
  • From: David Bailey <dave at>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 23:20:46 -0400 (EDT)

Joe Hays wrote:
> All,
> I have a WinXP (sp3) system with Mathematica 7.0.1 installed. I've been
> using it for over a month. Last Friday "something happened" that corrupted
> Mathematica. Upon launch I get the following error message:
> "A serious error has occurred while Mathematica was starting up. Mathematica
> will probably not function properly until this problem is resolved. You may
> choose to conintue anyway, but Mathematica may crash or exit without
> warning.
> The installation of Mathematica may be corrupted. Contact technical support
> or visit for more information. Error code:
> 480"
> I did have an old inactive Mathematica 6 still installed on the machine and
> inadvertently launched it. I closed version 6 and then launched version 7
> and received the error above. Since then, I have uninstalled both versions,
> deleted the "C:\Program Files\Wolfram\" folder and even went into the
> registry and deleted all keys that had "wolfram" or "mathematica" in it.
> I then rebooted and did a clean install of Mathematica 7.0.1. The first
> launch of this cleaned install produced the same error.
> Error code: 480 produced no results when I searched on the Wolfram support
> site. As a student without *premier* support and can not call into Wolfram
> support, I'm at a loss as to what to do.
> Has anyone experienced this same/similar phenomenon? Anyway have an idea of
> what else I should try to resolve it?
> Much thanks,
> Joe
It might be worth repeating the above procedure but also removing the
Mathematica directories inside "Documents and Settings". Using back
versions of Mathematica is a normal thing to do, and should not cause
problems - even if you launch 6.0 and 7.0 at the same time.

It would certainly help if Mathematica were a bit more informative about
what it was doing when such errors occur!

David Bailey