closing curly brace unrecognized

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104003] closing curly brace unrecognized
  • From: dushan <dushanm at spinn.net>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:17:02 -0400 (EDT)

I have Mathematica 7.0.1 installed on a Mac running X.4.11.

I've just run into the problem (again) that the closing curly brace
isn't recognized.  Trying
to enter a vector, I write

    vR = {w Cos[k z], w Sin[k z], z}

and on hitting Shft-Enter the left curly brace is highlighted and the
message lines appear,

    Syntax::bktmcp: Expression "{w Cos[k z],w Sin[k z],z}" has no
closing "}".
    Syntax::bktmcp: Expression "{w Cos[k z],w Sin[k z],z}" has no
closing "}".
    Syntax::sntxi: Incomplete expression; more input is needed.

I tried variations of: deleting/adding a closing curly brace, adding
an extra curly brace,
replacing the opening & closing braces with brackets, etc., and
nothing seems to help.

Previously, to get comfortable with the notation, I was able to enter
such expressions as

    v = {X,Y,0}

and then use 'v'.  What's going wrong?

- Dushan Mitrovich