Re: The graph of (x + 2)^(1/5) + 4 not plotted

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104005] Re: The graph of (x + 2)^(1/5) + 4 not plotted
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 07:17:25 -0400 (EDT)

We could plot the function this way. First generate the polynomial equation
in x and y and Solve:

(x + 2)^(1/5) + 4 == y
# - 4 & /@ %
#^5 & /@ %
sols = Solve[%, y]

This gives a set of 5 Root objects. If we investigate these, by making a
Table say, over various x domains it appears that the first root is always
the real root.

We could then plot with:

Plot[First[y /. sols] // Evaluate, {x, -20, 20},
 Frame -> True,
 PlotRange -> {{-20, 20}, {0, 6}},
 Axes -> None,
 FrameLabel -> {"x", "y"},
 PlotLabel -> Row[{"Real solution of ", 2 + x == (-4 + y)^5}],
 BaseStyle -> {FontSize -> 12},
 ImageSize -> 400]

The main point in the plot is that with Mathematica one controls the overall
look of the plot by using options. It is worthwhile learning how to use
these because Mathematica will seldom automatically make the best looking
plot. With the Plot statement Mathematica always makes an Axis plot but if
you look in technical journals such as Science you will almost always see a
Frame plot instead. The trouble with Axes plots is that the Axes often stomp
all over your curves or data.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: victor chg [mailto:kindlychung at gmail.com]

This works, only the axes are not at normal positions, looks a bit strange:
http://i38.tinypic.com/20f6ftg.png

--