Re: Suggestions on how to use standard engineering symbols

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104118] Re: Suggestions on how to use standard engineering symbols
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 04:50:42 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for everyone for their input. I received interesting ones here and in
email, so thanks again for all.

I settled down on using, in Mathematica 7, the Palettes->Special Characters.
In there I see many uppercase (and lowercase) letters that look almost
exactly like the standard letters, but do not conflict with ones used by
Mathematics such as E and I etc... For example I use now CapitalIota  for
"I" and CapitalEpsilon for "E" etc..

The main advantage of this is that the input and output look the same, and
easier to debug code this way. But I have to have the special character
palettes open all the time, or learn how to enter these using short key
sequences.

Actually, even for one upper case letters which is not yet reserved by
Mathematica for its own use, I will start using the special characters. For
example, engineers use "A" allot for the cross sectional area, and even
though "A" is at this time is not used by Mathemetica, I thought it would be
better to use the special character "A" instead. Who knows, may be someone
in the future with a last name that starts with "A" will invent a famous
constant and this will be called the "A" constant, and then Mathematica will
start using in its future releases and this will cause a problem with my
code then. I assume that Mathematica can reserve for its own use and word or
letter which starts with Uppercase.

So, for all one letter variables (specially the Uppercase ones), I will use
the special characters only from now on.

Problem solved.

thanks,
--Nasser