Re: Text cell formating blues. LineBreakWithin, PageWidth, WordWrapping

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104142] Re: Text cell formating blues. LineBreakWithin, PageWidth, WordWrapping
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 06:28:12 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Alexei Boulbitch [mailto:Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu]
>

> One problem with all these pdf files produced out of notebooks, is that if
> graphics is in, when transforming it into pdf you may get empty parts of
> some pages,
> if there was an image on the corresponding place whose geometrical size was
> larger than
> the place on the page left for it. In this case it will be placed on the
> this problem may be solved by some formatting of the paper "by hand".

That's why Knuth invented stretchable "glue" and positive and negative
"penalties" (or did he really invent those concepts? -- I don't know
that for certain).

> By the way, does someone know a better way of dealing with the empty
> "half-pages"?

Isn't the needed concept here called "floating insertions"?  (But God
forbid these should be added to the already unmanageable capabilities of
Mathematica.)