Re: Question on Dynamic with "DockedCell"

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg104173] Re: Question on Dynamic with "DockedCell"
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 06:33:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Jason,

I have run into this as well when I wanted to create a menu in a
DockedCell that displayed the current set of files in a particular
directory.  One issue is that one has to trigger any Dynamic that is
in the cell, and for some cases one doesn't want something constantly
testing the cou=mputer's filesystem for changes.  I had played with
Refresh and things like that.

A solution that I came up with, that served my particular application
needs was to create a reason for a menu to update.

So, my menu was generated through a function likethe following.  Note
that it has an argument, but the parameter in the arrument is not used
in the funtion:

myMenu[z_] :=
  FileNameTake[#, -1] :> SystemOpen[#] & /@
   FileNames[{"*"}, {$UserDocumentsDirectory}]]

Note that if you create a cell with this menu in it it will not update
if you add or remove a file in $UserDocumentsDirector:

TextCell[Dynamic[myMenu[1]], "Text"] // CellPrint

The trick now is to introduce a new function which has as its only
purpose to change the value of a parameter: $MysteryParameter.  Make
sure that that parameter is Unprotected if it is in a Package.
$MysteryParameter will be used in the argument to myMenu to force it
to trigger the Dynamic. And this will be acomplished by having the
Cell that contains the menu have a CellEventAction.

$MysteryParameter = 1;

Toggle$MysteryParameter[] :=

   $MysteryParameter = 2,

   $MysteryParameter = 1,

   $MysteryParameter = 1];

And finally one intruduces a CellEventAction to the cell that causes
the value of $MysteryParameter to change and thereby causes the myMenu
in the Dynamic to update because its argument has changed.

TextCell[Dynamic[myMenu[$MysteryParameter]], "Text",
  CellEventActions -> {"MouseMoved" :> (Toggle$MysteryParameter

Or, in a DockedCell

 DockedCells -> {
    TextCell[Dynamic[myMenu[$MysteryParameter]], "DockedCell",
     CellEventActions -> {"MouseMoved" :> (Toggle$MysteryParameter
     StripOnInput -> True]}

I hope this helps....