old vs new(V7) BarChart3D

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg104313] old vs new(V7) BarChart3D
  • From: mtnMan <gary.mcclelland at>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 04:59:16 -0500 (EST)

I've been using BarChart3D in pre-7 versions of Mathematica to produce
density plots for discrete probability distributions.  For example,

(binorm = {{4,15,24,15,4},{15,60,90,60,15},{24,90,144,90,24},
  BaseStyle->{Medium,FontFamily->"Arial"},PlotLabel->"Field Study"]

Pre V7, this generated nice, histogram-like bar bars.  But now it
generates what I would call a microsoft-like two-dimensional bar graph
with a fake 3rd dimension that conveys no information.  I want the old
one back!  I've discovered I can get the old one back by using

but then I get all sorts of compatibility warnings.  Is there
something else I should be using instead of the new BarChart3D[] to
generate something like the old style BarChart3D[]?  It is not
Histogram3D because I already have the probabilities or counts for
each data point.  Histogram3D wants raw data that it will bin for
you.  Any suggestions?  Or should I just load the legacy version and
ignore the warnings?