SetterBar/ButtonBar, Dynamic and the visual appearance of "selected"

Folk,

Once again I'm trying to understand some UI nuances in Mathematica...

I'm trying to use SetterBar or ButtonBar as selectors for portions of a
dataset with an action attached. This basically works however when I have an
action associated with either, the selected button doesn't visually appear
selected when clicked...

A sample of what I'm doing is below; my basic goal is to use either of the
last 2 of these four examples but have the button highlighting act like the
first two examples.

Clear[x1, x2, y1, checkSwitch];
 (* appears to force no default selection w/ SetterBar *)
(x1 = Null;
 x2 = Null; y1 = Null;)
choices = {"one", "two", "three"};
checkSwitch[button_] := Switch[button, _, Print[button]]
Panel[{Column[{
    Style["SetterBars", Bold],
    Style["No Dynamic, button stays highlighted", Italic],
    SetterBar[x1, # -> # & /@ choices],
    Style["Dynamic WITHOUT action, button stays highlighted", Italic],
    Row[{SetterBar[Dynamic[y1], # -> # & /@ choices], Dynamic[y1]}],
    Style["Dynamic with action, button does not stay highlighted", Italic],
    SetterBar[Dynamic[x2, checkSwitch[#] &], # -> # & /@ choices],
    Style["ButtonBars", Bold],
    Style["Dynamic with action, button does not stay highlighed", Italic],
    ButtonBar[# :> checkSwitch[#] & /@ choices]
    }]
  }]

TIA,