SetterBar/ButtonBar, Dynamic and the visual appearance of "selected"

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104329] SetterBar/ButtonBar, Dynamic and the visual appearance of "selected"
  • From: Jason Ledbetter <jasonbrent at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 04:05:41 -0500 (EST)

Folk,

Once again I'm trying to understand some UI nuances in Mathematica...

I'm trying to use SetterBar or ButtonBar as selectors for portions of a
dataset with an action attached. This basically works however when I have an
action associated with either, the selected button doesn't visually appear
selected when clicked...

A sample of what I'm doing is below; my basic goal is to use either of the
last 2 of these four examples but have the button highlighting act like the
first two examples.

Clear[x1, x2, y1, checkSwitch];
 (* appears to force no default selection w/ SetterBar *)
(x1 = Null;
 x2 = Null; y1 = Null;)
choices = {"one", "two", "three"};
checkSwitch[button_] := Switch[button, _, Print[button]]
Panel[{Column[{
    Style["SetterBars", Bold],
    Style["No Dynamic, button stays highlighted", Italic],
    SetterBar[x1, # -> # & /@ choices],
    Style["Dynamic WITHOUT action, button stays highlighted", Italic],
    Row[{SetterBar[Dynamic[y1], # -> # & /@ choices], Dynamic[y1]}],
    Style["Dynamic with action, button does not stay highlighted", Italic],
    SetterBar[Dynamic[x2, checkSwitch[#] &], # -> # & /@ choices],
    Style["ButtonBars", Bold],
    Style["Dynamic with action, button does not stay highlighed", Italic],
    ButtonBar[# :> checkSwitch[#] & /@ choices]
    }]
  }]

TIA,