plotting with dotted lines, not dashed

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104341] plotting with dotted lines, not dashed
  • From: Robert Rosenbaum <robertr at math.uh.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 04:08:06 -0500 (EST)

I need to plot a function with a dotted line for a figure to be
published.  As you may know PlotStyle->Dotted simply makes a dashed
line with small dashes.  Since I already have a dashed line in the
figure, I would prefer an actual dotted line for this function.

I tried ListPlot with PlotMarkers set to discs, but these get spaced
according to the grid in the list I send to ListPlot.  In order to
space them equally like Dashed does, I'd have to make a non-uniform
grid that depends on the derivative of my function (which I don't have
a closed form for).

Surely there is a reasonable way to plot with a dotted line, right?
Any ideas?

Best,
Robert