Re: Rotating an Image

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg104359] Re: [mg104348] Rotating an Image
  • From: Patrick Scheibe <pscheibe at>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 02:56:00 -0500 (EST)

> I need to rotate an image, i.e. a 2D Matrix, about an arbitrary angle.
> I would like to maintain the image size.
> I would like to have full control over the interpolation process.

then you should code it anyway by yourself in e.g. C and call it from
Mathematica, but to do it purely in Mathematica is even for moderately
sized images no option since it is far too slow.

For the Mathematica-day in Germany I wrote a set of functions for an
rigid image registration which contains a rotation. This whole stuff is
written using CUDA but that's effectively C.
It should at least show you what to do.

Please find it under

If you really don't come forward then just send me a mail and we'll see
what we can do.

> In the long term I am actually interested in rotating a 3D volume/matrix
> around an arbitrary axis by an arbitrary angle.  Such functions exist for
> graphics objects but not for image/volume/matrix data.  Or am I wrong?

Afaik nothing ready to use exists in Mathematica,
but such functions are not harder to code than a normal rotation.