Re: Bug in Solve?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102956] Re: Bug in Solve?
  • From: Ben Dundee <dundee at mps.ohio-state.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 05:38:32 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Tony---

Try some algebra :)  I think you'll find that the imaginary parts of your answer cancel.

To see it numerically, after Solve[...] put N[%].  I find that the imaginary part is on the order of 10^-16.  This is coming from the default precision that my computer uses (which can be discovered by evaluating $MachinePrecision).

So, check N[Solve[...]], and you should find that the imaginary part scales with the precision of the answer.  This you can check by changing the WorkingPrecision option in Solve.