Re: contourplot in xy plane of Graphics3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102944] Re: [mg102918] contourplot in xy plane of Graphics3D
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 05:36:16 -0400 (EDT)

Tobias,

I would be helpful if you gave an explicit example of the kind of graphic
you wanted. I assume that you want to combine the contour plot with other
objects or surfaces.

You can get a kind of contour plot by using ParametricPlot3D and using the
ColorFunction and MeshFunctions options.

The Presentations package gives a much more natural method for combining
various objects in 2D and 3D Graphics. It has a RaiseTo3D command that will
raise 2D graphics items to a 3D surface. So you can use ContourDraw (which
is similar to ContourPlot) and then raise it to some surface, including of
course the xy-plane. In the case of a Monge patch, where the surface is
given by {x, y, f[x, y]}, the routine will automatically calculate the
vertex normals so you obtain nice shading in the 3D object. You even get the
tooltips on the contours. This can be easily combined with other object just
by drawing one thing after another.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Tobias Baumann [mailto:ttobsen at hotmail.com]

Hi All

I need to show a contourplot in the xy-plane of an Graphics3D. I tried
with inset, but it doesn't work because there's an error message: "Inset
is not a Graphics3D primitive or directive."

Thanks for help.

Cheers Tobias