Re: Re: Coupled Diff Eqs or Poisson Eq, is symbolic solution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg102976] Re: Re: [mg102844] Coupled Diff Eqs or Poisson Eq, is symbolic solution
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 05:42:21 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Mr. Neelsonn,

Your question sounds, as if you do not know what type of solutions can
have your equation.  If this is the case, why would not you look into a
pair of books on Mathematical Physics. A Poisson's equation like the one
you described is a classical one, and as much as I remember its solution
in a rectangular domain has been treated in many textbooks. Really, the
most simple case is its solution in a circle, but the second simplest
case - is in the rectangle. Have a look and you will see what kind of
solution you can expect and what you cannot. In particular, you will see,
if such problems admit simple analytical solutions that you asked about,
or - may be - analytical solutions can only be written in a form of
infinite series (is it OK with you?), and how such series can look like,
or you can write them in an integral form, and so on.  I know the answer,
but this is your problem and your home task.

I would advice you to do it first, and only then to turn to
Mathematica. Otherwise you will not understand what you get, even if
you get something.

Regards, Alexei

Dear Prof. Murray,
Thank you for your reply.

I tried to fix the unreadable codes, please see the message below. Thanks
again!
----------

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 Contern
Luxembourg

Phone: +352 2454 2566
Fax:   +352 2454 3566

Website: www.iee.lu

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.