Re: Editing named style sheet?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103056] Re: Editing named style sheet?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 05:38:33 -0400 (EDT)

In article <h7pl1f$ged$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Larry Adelston <larrya at wolfram.com> wrote:

   [Thanks for helpful response; a few questions]

> You can access the stylesheet

      [meaning, my custom "myDefault.nb" stylesheet]

> through the FrontEnd by doing the following:
>
> 1. Open a new notebook by choosing File > New > Notebook or Cmd-N
> (Mac); Ctrl-N (Win). BTW, you don't have to use a blank notebook. You
> can use an existing notebook, if you would rather. But be forewarned,
> you will be applying the stylesheet, myDefault, to it. So if the
> notebook contains an embedded stylesheet you run the risk losing it.

   So, could the existing notebook that I might open
   and edit actually be my **already existing**
   "myDefault.nb" notebook/stylesheet**?

   More broadly, can the stylesheet for any custom
   stylesheet/notebook that one creates actually
   **be that same stylesheet**?

   Still more broadly, would it make sense for the stylesheet
   for **any** custom-created stylesheet/notebook to be,
   **by default** that same stylesheet?  If the stylesheet
   for a stylesheet/notebook were always *that same*
   stylesheet, one could always edit it in one step-- ??

   [A small observation here:  After I've created the "myDefault.nb"
   stylesheet/notebook and installed it in my Library, it shows up in
   the File >> Open Recent menu of my Mathematica app for a
   while, and I could actually freeze it there so it would never age
   out.  But, if I select this entry in the Open Recent menu, it *doesn't
   actually open* (at least, this is what I seem to see).

   On the other hand, on a Mac at least, this "myDefault.nb"
   stylesheet/notebook also shows up for a while as an entry
   in the Apple Menu >> Recent Items menu at the left end
   of the Mac menu bar -- and if I select this entry from there,
   it *does* open, in the format that one sees when one chooses
   the Format >> Edit Stylesheet command.   So, could I start
   your Step 3-b from there?]