Re: Re: Re: Manipulate: How to

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103127] Re: [mg103071] Re: [mg103064] Re: [mg103049] Manipulate: How to
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 04:40:22 -0400 (EDT)

 != 1 is not a complete expression. If you put it in quotes ( "!= 1" ) then it could be a a value and/or a label. Or if you included some variable (other than Choice) like x != 1 then it would be True or False and the boolean result could be a value and/or a label.

Manipulate[Choice, {{Choice, 1, "Choice"},
  {1, "!= 1"}}]

Bob Hanlon

---- Syd Geraghty <sydgeraghty at me.com> wrote:

=============
Thanks Bob,

I appreciate the inputs which confirm what I concluded and tried with
success.

What is evidently not in the documentation is any reason why the
value != 1 would not be allowable.

In the context of "everything in Mathematica is an expression" it seems to me
that "not equal to 1" is a valid expression that is, from a user point
of view, a more logical way to express difference from the only tested
value (which as you pointed out) is 1.

I raise this only in the hope that, if my point is reasonable, WRI
might consider this minor improvement in a future release.

Cheers ... Syd

Syd Geraghty B.Sc, M.Sc.

sydgeraghty at mac.com

Mathematica 7.0.1 for Mac OS X x86 (64 - bit) (18th February 2009)
MacOS X V 10.6 Snow LeopardMacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo  2GB
RAM