Re: SendMail and Novell Groupwise

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103142] Re: SendMail and Novell Groupwise
  • From: Albert Retey <awnl at gmx-topmail.de>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 04:43:04 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

> I teach at a small community college in PA where our email is managed through
> Novell Groupwise.  I'm interested in using Mathematica to programmatically
> send student-customized emails using Mathematica 7's new SendMail
functionality.
> As you might imagine I have not been succesful to date.
>
>    When I start my Novel Groupwise software at work, I read an information window that states:
> "Connecting to Post Office Agent at: 172.19.177.4:1677".

I have never used Novel Groupwise, but I think port 1677 is not
something well known and a quick search gave me some hints that this is
probably used for a proprietary protocol that only the groupwise sofware
components understand.

On the other hand I think there is a pretty good chance that the
groupwise server accepts email via snmtp (port 25) from the local area
network, and probably even without a username and password, so that
would be my first try (actually I think you are best off to not use the
port option, since that is probably only necessary for non standard
setups). Maybe you also want to try the various encryption-protocols
that SendMail knows (then  you'll need a username and passwort usually).
Usually each of the encryption protocols uses a different port, and I
think that SendMail will try the correct default without a Port-Option,
so that would be what you probably want to try first.

Another chance is that your box is set up so that it accepts email on
port 25 itself, then you could send to ip-address 127.0.0.1 and port 25.

If all that doesn't work, you'll need to talk to your administrator to
find out if and how it is possible to send mail with something else than
the groupwise client software.

hth,

albert