Re: docs for Style, etc. (Antialiasing)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103243] Re: [mg103185] docs for Style, etc. (Antialiasing)
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 05:28:04 -0400 (EDT)

I think you can put any expression you wish as the first argument and use
any of the options. But the options will only do something if there are
parts of the expression to which they can be applied.

Graphics[
 {Style[
   {Line[{{-1, -1}, {1, 1/2}}],
    Text[Row[{"Expression = ", 1234567890 a^x}], {-.8, .5}, {-1, 0}]},
   Antialiasing -> False,
   FontSize -> 20,
   ScriptMinSize -> 19,
   DigitBlock -> 3,
   NumberSeparator -> ","]},
 PlotRange -> 1,
 ImageSize -> 400]

But I think there are problems and Style is not totally well designed. For
example, they give the impression that one can control number formatting
with a single Style wrapper but that is not completely true and you can
waste a lot of time trying to do it. Consider the following variation:

Graphics[
 {Style[
   {Line[{{-1, -1}, {1, 1/2}}],
    Text[Row[{"Expression = ", 1234567890.12456 a^x}], {-.8, .5}, {-1,
       0}]},
   Antialiasing -> False,
   FontSize -> 20,
   ScriptMinSize -> 19,
   PrintPrecision -> 15,
   DigitBlock -> {3, 3},
   ExponentFunction -> Null,
   NumberSeparator -> ","]},
 PlotRange -> 1,
 ImageSize -> 400]

Why did WRI include DigitBlock and NumberSeparator in Style if they have
such restricted use? Some options in Style are not even documented so it
must have been tweaked on an ad hoc basis for internal use.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Murray Eisenberg [mailto:murray at math.umass.edu]

What I really want is to find out what the possibilities for the first
argument of Style are, not what the options are.

Then, what would be very useful, would be to be able to find out which
second arguments are possible for a given first argument.

For example, what sort of expressions opts are appropriate for:

   Style[Line[expr], opts]