Re: Re: Unexpected Characters Appearing in

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103307] Re: [mg103291] Re: [mg103263] Unexpected Characters Appearing in
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at cox.net>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 07:12:07 -0400 (EDT)

I don't see any exclamation marks in the output

$Version

7.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (February 19, 2009)

stdDev[x_] :=
 Sqrt[Plus @@ (Plus[#, -Mean@x]^2 & /@ x)/Length@x]

What you are calling the standard deviation is a biased estimator of the standard deviation of the total population (from which your sample is drawn). This estimate is the root mean square of the deviation from the mean.

data = {a, b, c, d, e};

stdDev[data] ==
 RootMeanSquare[data - Mean[data]] ==

 Sqrt[Total[(data - Mean[data])^2]/Length[data]]

True

The unbiased estimator of the standard deviation of the population is StandardDeviation

StandardDeviation[data] ==

  Sqrt[Total[(data - Mean[data])^2]/(Length[data] - 1)] //

 Simplify[#, Element[data, Reals]] &

True

p = {{107, 138}, {119, 129},
   {104, 101}, {107, 91}, {123, 94}};

StandardDeviation /@ Transpose[p] // N

{8.42615,21.4546}

stdDev /@ Transpose[p] // N

{7.53658,19.1896}

Note that the biased estimate under-estimates the standard deviation

r = Differences@p/Most@p;

StandardDeviation /@ Transpose[r] // N

{0.122332,0.103158}

stdDev /@ Transpose[r] // N

{0.105942,0.0893377}

Bob Hanlon

---- Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca> wrote:

=============
Hi Bobby,

Yeh, you're right.  Kind of skimped on the details.  Sorry about that.

Here's some data, five observations each on the prices of two stocks.
First element in each is stock 1 and the second element is stock 2.

p= {{107, 138}, {119, 129}, {104, 101}, {107, 91}, {123, 94}}

Here's a function for computing standard deviation that goes down each
"column" as it were.  I think a version of this was suggested on
MathGroup.

stdDev[x_] := Sqrt[Plus @@ (Plus[#, -Mean@x]^2 & /@ x)/Length@x]

The standard deviation of price is not a problem.

{7.53658, 19.1896}

Now I convert the prices to returns,

(r = Differences@p/Most@p)

{{12/107, -(3/46)}, {-(15/119), -(28/129)}, {3/104, -(10/101)},
{16/107, 3/91}}

leaving me with four observations each because of the differencing.
Taking the standard deviation of returns gives me

{0.105942 \.10, 0.0893377 \.10}

where the \.10 appears when I copy from Mathematica and paste into my
mail software, but in Mathematica, the \.10 appears as an exclamation
mark (!) with what appears to be a skinny space between it and the
last digit reported for each result.

The answers for returns are correct, and the exclamation mark still
appears if I compute r as a numerical approximation rather than
rationals.  Any thoughts?

Regards,

	Gregory