Modifying Default Stylesheet?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103388] Modifying Default Stylesheet?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 05:27:38 -0400 (EDT)

I'd like to modify the default stylesheet that will be used for all my
routine Mathematica work, and that will become the default or initial
stylesheet for all new notebooks that I create.

(This is in version 7 for Mac, and the modifications will be generally
minor changes in text formats and appearance.  I'll probably want to
make additional mods to some of these from time to time.)

My basic question is, can I do this by editing the "Default" stylesheet
that is at the top of the list that appears when you select the Format
>> Stylesheet menu command?  (I'd prefer to do this, for simplicity.)

Or should I do it by creating and installing a new "MyStylesheet" that
will show up added to the bottom of that list?

More specifically:

1)  If I modify the Default stylesheet, will those changes "stick"
through future upgrades, at least in the v7.0, v7.1, v7.2 ...  hierarchy?

And will changes in Default cascade down through all the Article, Book,
etc stylesheets that appear below Default in that list?  Or do all of
those, including Default, inherit separately from some level that's
above Default?

And if I make or add mods to Default, what is the Install process that I
need then go through each time?

2)  If I instead create and install a new "MyStylesheet", how do I make
it be the default stylesheet for all newly created notebooks?