Re: Capturing the output(s) from a Manipulate?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103419] Re: Capturing the output(s) from a Manipulate?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 05:50:21 -0400 (EDT)

and Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote:

> It's already there!
>
> 1. Choose the settings you want for all the Manipulate output's controls.
>
> 2. On the Manipulate output, click the little + symbol that's in the
> upper-right corner of the panel.  A drop-down menu appears. Click the
> entry Paste Snapshot.
>
> That will paste into a new Input cell a DynamicModule expression for the
> current settings of all the controls.

Thanks -- I'm beginning to get a grasp of what Bookmarks and the like do.

But suppose I want to paste a permanent "snapshot", NOT of the Input
that creates this snapshot (which is positioned in an Input cell that I
then have to execute, and maybe erase), but rather a snapshot of the
finished _output_ (the Plot or Table or whatever) that the Manipulate
command has already created?

This seems to me a natural thing to want to do in many circumstances.
One might even want to do it three times, say, to create three "frozen"
snapshots of three typical outputs -- and then delete (or at least
disable) the whole associated Manipulate apparatus that created these
three examples, since it will no longer be needed.

Is there a good way (besides Copy and Paste) to make a snapshot of the
_Output_ from a Manipulate (without any added controls or similar
clutter)?

Questions beyond that:

1)  Suppose I create a graphic Output cell either by executing a
Manipulate or even just by a simple Plot or Show or whatever command.

How can one best capture and "freeze" the rendered _Output cell
contents_ in this situation, so that they become a permanent
illustration or graphic in the notebook?  What style or other option
should one choose or edit within the Output cell, or a Copy and Pasted
version of the Output cell, to do this?

2)  Suppose one creates several such outputs using a Manipulate command,
and then wants to remove or disable the Manipulate command itself ***and
all its associated side effects*** (since it will presumably no longer
be needed).

I suppose one answer is to delete the Manipulate cell; Save and Close
the notebook; Quit Mathematica; then re-open Mathematica and then the
notebook.  Is there a more efficient way?

Or will just unclicking Evaluatable for the Manipulate cell and
re-executing the notebook once be enough?

3)  Re the Manipulate command:  It appears that the square inverted plus
icon in the Manipulate output window (i.e., white plus sign on square
gray background) is a toggle, while the circular inverted plus sign is
what's called a "contextual menu" (at least in Mac parlance, where the
associated icon is more often a small gear wheel).

Are these now more widely used (and standardized) conventions in
Mathematica?  (or elsewhere).  Is there somewhere one can read about
these icon conventions, or get a list of them?