Re: two quad processor machine

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103525] Re: two quad processor machine
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 06:14:20 -0400 (EDT)

Ruth Lazcoz Saez wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    We are planning to get at the lab a two quad processor machine.
> Will a single machine license allow us run eight different notebooks
> at the same time?
>
>    Thanks,
>
>    Ruth Lazkoz

Code can be spread across multiple notebooks regardless of how many
cores/processors you have. A notebook is merely a repository for code!

Using eight cores you will be able to run parallel tasks using
Mathematica's parallel processing API's, and some processes will run
more efficiently than they would on a single code, but you will need to
do work to ensure that the parallel processing is well balanced across
the cores.

Try to ensure that you load the 64-bit version of Windows (if you are
using Windows!) and that there is sufficient memory for the number of
parallel processes you decide to start.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk