Re: Showing the Current Value of a Slider in Manipulate

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103520] Re: [mg103487] Showing the Current Value of a Slider in Manipulate
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 06:13:25 -0400 (EDT)

I disagree: I would NOT want Labeled to be the default appearance for
sliders in Manipulate.

One reason:  Look, for example, at:

   Manipulate[Plot[Sin[x(1 + a x)],{x,0,6}],{{a,0,"Multiplier"},0,4}]

You can readily change the style of that label "Multiplier", e.g., to
make the font size larger or change its color, by wrapping it in a Style
expression:

   Manipulate[Plot[Sin[x(1 + a x)],{x,0,6}],
      {{a, 0, Style["Multiplier", 24, Red]}, 0, 2}]

But if you include an Appearance->"Labeled" option...

   Manipulate[Plot[Sin[x(1 + a x)],{x,0,6}],
    {{a,0,Style["Multiplier", 24, Red]}, 0, 2, Appearance -> "Labeled"}]

... then so far as I am aware you cannnot change the style of the
slider's numerical value as it appears to the right of the slider.

For presentations in class, I need to enlarge all the text, including
text display of numerical values. That does not seem possible for the
slider value just with the built-in Appearance option.  What I need to
do is to change the body of the Manipulate to something like the following:

  Manipulate[
  Column[{Row[{Style["Multiplier = ", 24, Red], Style[a, 24, Red]}],
    Plot[Sin[x (1 + a x)], {x, 0, 6}]}], {{a, 0,
    Style["Multiplier", 24, Red]}, 0, 2}]

This way, I can make the label to the left of the slider and the current
value shown have the same size, among other style possibilities.

But were Appearance->"Labeled" the default, then I'd have to make an
additional change to default behavior so as to disable appearance of the
current-value displayed to the right of the slider.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305