Re: reference manager in Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg103632] Re: [mg103590] reference manager in Mathematica?
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 05:04:17 -0400 (EDT)

It would be interesting to know more specifically how you wish to use this.

In any case, the Presentations package has a References section that allows
you to maintain a set of references. You are free to design any format for
the references that you desire, basically using Row constructions. There are
instructions for creating a palette for pasting in reference templates with
a predefined book citation and journal citation template, but as I said you
can create your own templates.

You can add, edit or delete references.

The references can be inserted in text cells in three different forms:
openers, mouse over tooltips, or pop-up windows.

At present this is just an in-notebook facility. It doesn't work across
notebooks yet. Also, within a notebook there is no pagination so the
references are just for the entire notebook with a reference section at the
end. One could, of course, copy the reference list from one notebook to
another and then edit it.

I am interested in how to use Workbench/DocuTools to do things like write
books or university courseware. There I think it would be possible to create
a references notebook within the Documentation section and then link to
specific references from other notebooks that would constitute the book. It
would be something like a PDF where you can click on a link to bring you to
a reference section and then go back.

I've tested the Presentations References facilities and I think they work
pretty well, but I don't think they have been tested in serious extended use
so there may be issues. I don't think the Workbench idea has been tried at
all, but it seems entirely doable.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: ATG [mailto:goossens.aart at gmail.com]

Hey,

I was wondering if Mathematica has a built-in reference manager or
whether it is possible to access your Endnote (or other)-bibliography
from within Mathematica.

The only thing I can find is that <a href=http://www.wolfram.com/
products/mathematica/analysis/content/
DocumentProcessingSystems.html>Mathematica</a> can access a variety of
databases, most probably including bibliography databases.

Wolfram appears to make a big deal of Mathematica's document
processing and report generation capabilities, but there seems to be
no (easy?) way to include references.

ATG