Re: How to do numerical computations?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108811] Re: How to do numerical computations?
  • From: Manfred Plagmann <plagmann82 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 06:01:36 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 31, 11:27 pm, bagarti <baga... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Any body please help me,
>
> I have written some mathematica code which contains some complicated functions.The functions involve integrations and iterations in the intermediate steps. When I run the code it takes a hell lot of time. I do not know what mathematica is doing inside, actually I have another code in fortran that takes only a few minutes to do all the calculations but there are other problems like it dosent work for some parameter range.
>
> Is there a method in which I can ask mathematica to give me only the numerical values just like any executable program does.
>
> Thanks.
> TaB

Many analytical functions with in Mathematica have numerical counterparts for
example Integrate[] has NIntegrate[]. You can use those to get
numerical results. If your code is very slow this could have many
reasons and without giving an example of what you are doing it will be
hard to help you. Keep in mind that Mathematica is interpreted and not compiled
Fortran code.

I hope this helps.

Manfred