Re: Speed Up of Calculations on Large Lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108869] Re: Speed Up of Calculations on Large Lists
  • From: Zach Bjornson <bjornson at mit.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 08:00:25 -0400 (EDT)

Ray,

Critical statement there is "under your test conditions." I played with
Stefan's problem for quite a while and came up with a few moving average
functions, and tried them all with and without compiling. His function
in particular was only 15% slow compiled/uncompiled on my computer with
his data set. The functions I came up with were usually faster when
compiled, depending on the data set. Also depending on the data set,
some were faster than the built-in MovingAverage function. They were
never faster than the inbuilt function with his data set however, so I
never sent my functions along. Since this came up though, my futzing is
below.

My initial response to Stefen's inquiry was the thought that Compile
would have no effect on MovingAverage, or would just add kernel time
while Mmeca decides to execute it with normal Mathematica code, but I'm
not sure that's true.

-Zach

(*data-set dependencies are illustrated between the top and bottom half
of this*)

$HistoryLength=0 (*to prevent artificially high speeds*)

1.1 Your function
movAverageOwn2FCorig =
  Compile[{{dataInput, _Real,
     1}, {days, _Integer}, {length, _Integer}},
   N[Mean[dataInput[[1 + # ;; days + #]]]] & /@
    Range[0, length - days, 1]]

In[165]:=
First@Timing[
    Do[movAverageOwn2FCorig[Range[1000000], 2, 1000000];, {10}]]/10
Out[165]= 1.7347

1.2 Inbuilt Mathematica function
In[164]:= First@Timing[Do[MovingAverage[Range[1000000], 2];, {10}]]/10
Out[164]= 1.6942

1.3 My variation #1
movAverageOwn2FCa =
  Compile[{{dataInput, _Real, 1}, {days, _Integer}},
   Table[Mean[dataInput[[i ;; i + days - 1]]], {i,
     Length@dataInput - days + 1}]]

In[166]:=
First@Timing[Do[movAverageOwn2FC[Range[1000000], 2];, {10}]]/10
Out[166]= 1.6146

Non-compiled function version gives a time of 4.0311 for this same data set.

1.4 My variation #2
movAverageOwn2Fb =
  Compile[{{dataInput, _Real, 1}, {days, _Integer}},
   With[{innerdata = Partition[dataInput, days, 1]},
    Table[Mean[innerdata[[i]]], {i, Length@innerdata}]
    ]]

In[167]:=
First@Timing[Do[movAverageOwn2F3[Range[1000000], 2];, {10}]]/10
Out[167]= 1.6287

Note that this *is* data-set dependent... for example, the same
functions tested on your data symbol give:
In[169]:= First@Timing[Do[MovingAverage[data, 2];, {10}]]/10

Out[169]= 0.0015

In[170]:= First@Timing[Do[movAverageOwn2Fa[data, 2];, {10}]]/10

Out[170]= 0.0171