Using numbers close to to zero in Mathematica version 6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108997] Using numbers close to to zero in Mathematica version 6
  • From: "Ted Ersek" <ersekt at md.metrocast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 03:34:32 -0400 (EDT)

What does Mathematica version 6 give when the following is evaluated?
Here (x) is 'zero' with 80 digits of accuracy.

 x = SetAccuracy[0, 80];
{ Abs[x] < 10^-900, Positive[x], Negative[x], NonPositive[x],
NonNegative[x] }//InputForm

{Sign[x], SetPrecision[x, 20], Sign[0], KroneckerDelta[x] }

UnitStep[{0, 0.0, x}]

Unitize[{0, 0.0, x}]

I have version 7, but not version 6. I am finishing an update to my
RootSearch package. Knowing what version 6 returns above will help me make
one version of this package that is optimized for Mathematica versions 6 and
7.

Thanks,
    Ted Ersek