Re: Automatic method in Eigenvalues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg108985] Re: Automatic method in Eigenvalues
  • From: Mike Bryniarski <melondisco at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 03:32:10 -0400 (EDT)

Actually Mathematica can in some sense compute eigenvalues of larger
matrices analytically, but it has to return them as a Root
expressions.
Example:
m ={{10, 96, 50, 62, 13, 99, 44}, {78, 41, 73, 69, 9, 69, 58}, {9,
53,
  97, 27, 95, 15, 97}, {22, 60, 100, 84, 28, 76, 33}, {56, 16, 62, 45,
   47, 64, 65}, {8, 73, 71, 33, 44, 61, 20}, {30, 90, 98, 60, 31, 29,
  96}};
 Eigenvalues[m]

but when working with numerical data I believe Eigenvalues calls
LAPACK to do the computation.
When using sparse arrays Eigenvalues uses Arnoldi iteration from
ARPACK.
Some information on how Mathematica does things is available at:
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/note/SomeNotesOnInternalImplementation.html

for more specific information than this you would need to look at
documentation for the implimentation of LAPACK or ARPACK

-Mike